Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an adaptation on a recipe that was emailed to me. The original recipe was from The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes. It goes well with Apricot Chicken for the Gourmet Crock Pot.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups broth
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- In a heavy saucepan, warm the olive oil.
- When warm add the onion and rice; cook stirring constantly until onion is transparent and rice begins to brown.
- Stir in the broth, turmeric, cinnamon and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- The last 5 minutes, stir in the raisins.
- Remove from heat, stir in parsley, cover and let stand, covered for 5 minutes.
Yum! Great blend of flavors and came out perfectly cooked. I made all as directed apart from using some fresh chives instead of the parsley.
This was very good! I've never had rice with raisins, but it was really tasty! That and the cinnamon added a subtle sweetness to the rice. A nice change of pace from the usual rice pilaf. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT7 for the Skim Into Africa Challenge for the Vivacious Violets.
Great! My son loved this- i added extra raising and i made this in the rice cooker after first preparing the pan -made for zw7