Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This rice dish is both pretty and delicious. My children don't usually like cooked carrots but will eat them in this dish. This recipe is from the Gooseberry Patch's Celebrate Spring.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or 3 tablespoons pecans, toasted
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice and onion; sautè 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic; sautè 1 minute.
- Add the broth and salt; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes.
- Stir in carrots; cover and cook an additional 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; stir in green onion and nuts.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a for and serve.
This is a good side. When I make it again I'll halve the recipe.