Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
By Jean Yueh from King's Cooking Studio, Twenty Tasteful Years cookbook. I am posting so I remember to make this! Note- there is lemon grass mentioned in the directions but not on the ingredient list so I added it and guessed the amount. Use your judgment as to the amount.
- 1 cup almonds, slivered
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 lb bok choy, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, coarsley chopped, can use Italian parsley
- Toast the almond slivers in a preheated 325 degree oven for 5-8 minutes or until slightly golden, but not burned. This can be done ahead. (I would use toaster oven).
- Heat oil in a 4 quart or larger pot over medium heat.
- Add rice and toss until all the rice grains are coated with oil.
- Add garlic and toss to mix, being careful not to burn garlic and the rice.
- Add chicken broth and turn heat to high until the liquid is boiling.
- Add carrots, bok choy, lemon grass, turmeric, sage, and salt.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Cover pot; lower heat to a simmer and cook rice for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander or parsley and toss to mix.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds on top and serve.