Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From: “The Africa Kitchen” by Josie Stow and Jan Baldwin.
Make and share this Rice Pilaf (African) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 fresh chili pepper, chopped (to taste)
- 4 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 -2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds of
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onions until soft.
- Stir in the rice and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
- Add the raisins, chili, lime zest, cinnamon sticks, cardamon, salt and 4 cups of water and stir well.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the slivered almonds in a dry frying pan.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Stir in the almonds, parsley and season to taste before serving.
Nice flavors! An interesting rice pilaf option. Thanks for posting!