From: “The Africa Kitchen” by Josie Stow and Jan Baldwin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 fresh chili pepper, chopped (to taste)
- 4 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 -2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds of
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onions until soft.
- 2Stir in the rice and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
- 3Add the raisins, chili, lime zest, cinnamon sticks, cardamon, salt and 4 cups of water and stir well.
- 4Cover the pan and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- 5Meanwhile, lightly toast the slivered almonds in a dry frying pan.
- 6Remove the saucepan from the heat and fluff up the rice with a fork.
- 7Stir in the almonds, parsley and season to taste before serving.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Pilaf (African)
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.3
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1180.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: