Recipe by Bec
A side dish from "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup vermouth
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, saute the onions and bay leaf in margarine until the onions are softened.
- Add the rice and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until rice is golden.
- Add wine, water, bouillon, parsley and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Or, place in covered casserole dish and bake in oven at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes.