Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A side dish from "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup vermouth
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- fresh ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, saute the onions and bay leaf in margarine until the onions are softened.
- Add the rice and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until rice is golden.
- Add wine, water, bouillon, parsley and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Or, place in covered casserole dish and bake in oven at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes.
This was sooooo good! Rice is something that always gives me trouble, but your recipe was easy to follow and it turned out great. Thank you for sharing!