Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the simplest form of rice & peas, the 'Jamaican coat of arms'. Sometimes bacon, salt pork or stewing meat is added. In Jamaica it is always called Rice an' Peas, although on some other islands it becomes Peas an' Rice. In the Bahamas tomatoes are added and the dish is called Hoppin' John. Caribbean Cooking For Pleasure, Mary Slater.
- Soak peas over night in cold water with bicarb soda.
- Drain peas.
- Put into fast boiling water & cook for 25 minutes OR until tender & still whole.
- Add coconut milk, thyme, shallots, chillie & S&P.
- Bring again to boiling point.
- Boil for 5 more minutes.
- Add rice, stir, cover, and cook over very LOW heat until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and serve very hot on a large platter.