Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup italian medium grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup dried tomatoe, snipped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Combine onion and olive oil in large, wide skillet with tight-fitting lid.
- Cook, stirring, over low heat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, dried tomatoes and rosemary.
- Cook and stir 1 minute over low heat.
- Add broth and salt.
- Bring to boil over high heat, stirring once.
- Cover and cook over low heat until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in cheese.
- Let stand until lukewarm.
- Can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated for several days.
- Add egg and stir to blend.
- Using 1/4 cup measure, form rice mixture into small pancakes about 2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- To keep rice from sticking to hands, rinse hands frequently with cold water.
- Coat large, non-stick skillet or griddle with a thin film of olive-oil.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Add pancakes in batches and cook until golden brown on one side, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn pancakes, using wide spatula, and brown other side.
- (Keep warm in oven on lowest setting until all are done).