Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Unusual apple strudel recipe without the fat from the pastry. For a vegan version substitute butter for soy margarine or Nutalex.
- 2 green apples, peeled cored and cut into 1/2cm slices
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons soy margarine
- 100 g caster sugar
- 8 rice paper sheets
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 220 Degrees Celsius.
- Combine apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and 1 tbs melted butter.
- Line baking sheet with baking paper.
- Pour 6 cups hot water in a bowl and dissolve caster sugar inches.
- Place 1 rice paper wrapper in water to soften, transfer to board and brush with extra melted butter.
- Divide filling in a sausage shape on one side of wrapper levaing 3cm border.
- Fold in end and roll up to enclose filling.
- Place on baking sheet seam side down.
- Brush top with melted butter.
- Repeat for all.
- Bake in oven 15-20 minutes. Serve warm dusted with icing sugar.
I came up with the idea that I'd try to make an apple turnover, using rice paper. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I found this recipe. Thank you ... it is almost exactly as I would have made it. Not sure what size rice paper you used, as I have two sizes here, but I will experiment and see what happens. Thanks.
The texture after baking was gummy and tough. It required a knife to cut through. I subbed pecans for walnuts and plain granulated white sugar for caster sugar, but I don' think that should make a difference. If I make these again, I'll also use a sweeter apple variety, less lemon juice, or more brown sugar.
The recipe mentions cinnamon in the instructions but not in the ingredients list. I sprinkled on enough to be obvious on the apple slices, which was about right. Maybe a teaspoon or so?
I HAVE to try this!! I am constantly trying to cut calories so this is the perfect recipe for me. Thanks for the recipe.