Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
SImple a tasty side dish for lemongrass beef skewers.
- 8 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sliced fresh red chili pepper, preferably Thai bird chile
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 scallions, dark-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 3 leaves bibb lettuce, very thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- of fresh mint, and
- basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook vermicelli, stirring occasionally, until tender but not mushy, about 4 minutes. Drain, then rinse with cold water. Let vermicelli drain in colander for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Combine water, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chile.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and scallions, and cook for 10 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Toss scallion mixture with noodles in a serving bowl. Add lettuce, carrot, and herbs, and toss. Serve sauce on the side.