Recipe by Carol Bullock
The cashews make this very rich. Can be addictive. This is an adaption of a Mollie Katzen recipe
Top Review by Roosie
I'm sorry I have to rate this so low- I had really high hopes for it. But it was just inedible- the flavors were off and tasted bad, and it looked unapetizine as well. I used wide rice noodles because I thought they might hold the sauce better. I followed the recipe exactly. It was just not good- We ate a tiny bit and had to throw the rest out. Sorry- I don't know what went wrong.
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 slices fresh ginger, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 serrano chilies, cut in half
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon natural sugar
- 1 cup toasted cashews
- 12 ounces uncooked rice noodles
- 3 green onions, finely minced
- lime wedge
- torn cilantro leaf (optional)
- finely minced green onion (optional)
- minced cashews, lightly toasted (optional)
- shredded coconut, lightly toasted (optional)
- minced cucumber, peeled and seeded,if necessary (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the coconut milk and water in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the ginger, lime juice, chilies, garlic, coriander, cilantro, mint, and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar.
- At this point, you can let the sauce steep for a stronger flavor for a few hours, or even overnight, or continue on with the recipe.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Press all the liquid from the garlic, ginger, cilantro, etc.
- ,then discard the solids that remain in the sieve.
- Place the cashews in a blender, and then pour in the coconut milk mixture.
- Puree until smooth.
- Heat a potful of water to a boil.
- Add the noodles, and cook them according to the directions on the package.
- Drain the noodles, rinse, and drain again, then transfer to a large, shallow serving bowl.
- Immediately add the minced green onion and all the sauce.
- Toss well and enjoy!