Recipe by Paja
I came up with this recipe when I wanted a rice side-dish that was a little different. It has a lot more flavour than plain rice and it goes really well with chicken or fish.
- 1 cup white rice (I use Uncle Ben's Converted)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 3⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence (or other herb of your choice)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat the rice and 1 Tbsp.
- oil, Stir constantly until the rice is lightly browned.
- Add the chicken broth, and wine and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in the 2 Tbsp.
- of olive oil.
- When the onion is cooked and the mushrooms a little brown, add the celery, green pepper, and Herbes de Provence.
- Saute about 5 minutes until the celery and green pepper are cooked, but still a little crisp.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the rice.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice, salt and pepper over top and mix gently.