Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adopted from the RecipeZaar account. I haven't made these yet.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 1 tablespoon shrimp
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup bacon
- 1⁄4 cup sausage
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄3 cup scallion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Mix together yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 cup warm water.
- Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Mix in 1/2 cup warm water, flour, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and vegetable oil.
- Knead until dough surface is smooth and elastic.
- Roll over in a greased bowl, and let stand until triple in size, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Punch down dough, and spread out on a floured board.
- Sprinkle baking powder evenly on surface, and knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 parts, and place the piece you are not working with in a covered bowl.
- Divide each half into 12 parts.
- Shape each part into a ball with smooth surface up.
- Put each ball on a wax paper square.
- Let stand covered until double, about 30 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil in wok, and reduce heat to medium; the water should still be boiling.
- Place steam-plate on a small wire rack in the middle of the wok.
- Transfer as many buns on wax paper as will comfortably fit onto steam-plate leaving 1 to 2 inches between the buns.
- At least 2 inches space should be left between steam-plate and the wok.
- Cover wok with lid.
- Steam buns over boiling water for 15 minutes.
- REMOVE LID BEFORE you turn off heat, or else water will drip back onto bun surface and produce yellowish"blisters" on bun surfaces.
- Continue steaming batches of buns until all are cooked.
- Cook rice and wrap mixture with dough.
- Steam for 40 min untild one.
- Serve immediately.