Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my version of Rice & Lentils, after adding things over the years. I love this stuff and my husband is polite about it.:) It is not a pretty dish, but it is healthy comfort food at it's best! I am a slow prep person, this may go much faster for you. ;)
- 1 lb brown lentils
- 1⁄2 lb red rice
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 4 -5 large granny smith apples
- 5 yellow onions
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- turkish yogurt or sour cream
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes and apples into chunks, and put in a large bowl.
- Peel and chop onions.
- Rinse and check lentils and put in a large dutch oven. Add enough cold water to reach 2 inches above the lentils. Set in pan over high heat.
- While water is warming add paprika, cayenne pepper, cardamom, and cumin.
- Put oil in a frying pan, over medium heat, and add chopped onions. Add cloves, allspice, cinnamon, and ginger. Heat until onions are soft and spices are fragrant.
- When water comes to boil in dutch oven, add red rice and stir. Let boil while the onions are cooking. When onions are finished add to dutch oven along with sweet potatoes and apples. Reduce to medium heat and cover, stirring occasionally. If you need more water(and you will) boil it first to keep cooking temperature steady.
- Cook about 30 minutes more or until sweet potatoes and apples are very soft.
- Garnish with yogurt or sour cream.