Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006-Israel. From the "Best of International Cooking" cookbook. I haven't had the chance to try this recipe yet.
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 apples
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cooked short-grain white rice
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a deep baking dish; set aside.
- Peel and shred apples. In a medium bowl, beat together egg, salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in raisins, shredded apple, rice, 4 Tablespoons of the butter, jam and almonds.
- Pour into buttered dish; dot with remaining 2 Tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar. Bake 40 minutes; serve hot.
I had never heard of a Kugel before and I thought I might give it a try. It was very easy to make and is really yummy. Thank you for sharing
Mmm, we liked this. It was the first time I have made a kugel with rice and it was a big hit. I am saving this on my menu for Sukkot, a warm and sweet dessert will be perfect in the Sukka! I made one change though, used margarine instead of butter since I wanted it to be pareve (dairy-free). Made for Kugelthon 2010. Thanks for posting.
I didn't think this was typical kugel fare, but it is delicious. Everything blended so well together, and it just turned out so good. I just love it.