Houmous Monster's Note:
I really don't have much of a sweet-tooth, so I've modified this to have more cereal, the salt on the peanuts also helps cancel the sweetness. Great as a travel snack, and with peanuts they are quite filling. For food restrictions: THIS RECIPE ISN'T VEGETARIAN. Also check the cereal to make sure it is wheat-free.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pan melt the margarine over a low heat.
- 2Grease a tray that's about 9 x 11 inches and 2 inches deep. Also grease the spoon you'll use for stirring with and something like a cake slice.
- 3Add the marshmallows and stir till melted. Once melted continue to cook for 3 more minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and add rice cereal and any additional ingredients (e.g. peanuts). Mix till all the cereal is coated in marshmallow.
- 5With the spoon pour the mix out into the greased tray and use the cake slice to press the mixture into the tray.
- 6If the mix starts to stick to the cake slice you can grease it over top of the marshmallow already stuck on and continue.
- 7Any mixture left over can be put into greased ramikins.
- 8Allow to cool (they will stop being as sticky). This can be sped up in the fridge. I cut my squares apart with a large pizza cutter, but any knife will do.
- 9Squares can then be stored in a Tupperware container for around 2 weeks.
- 10For other flavours add one cup of any of the following: raisins, glacier cherries, cashews, dried cranberries.
- 11You can also add 1 cup of crunchy peanut butter after you've cooked the marshmallow for 3 minutes, and then continue as normal. These tend to come out very crumbly though still nice.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Krispies Squares - No Sweet-Tooth Needed
Serving Size: 1 (779 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.5
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 219.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 1.5 g