Recipe by HeatherFeather
Another recipe from my Aunt's recipe clippings. This one also came from the Sept 19, 1969 Chicago Tribune originally. The clipping is crinkled with old yellow tape holding it together to make sure the recipes stayed intact. :) These are not like the typical angel cookies at all - they are little balls of dates, coconut, and Rice Krispies rolled in powdered. Don't use the prechopped dates as they aren't sticky enough - buy the whole pitted dates and chop them yourself. Also be sure to use the canned coconut..the kind that comes in bags is too dry and you will have a hard time getting the cookies to roll up otherwise.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) package dates, pitted, hand chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 (3 1/3 ounce) can flaked coconut (not the kind in bags)
- powdered sugar, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Add dates and granulated sugar and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until blended.
- Add cereal and coconut, stirring to combine.
- Remove from heat and let cool until you can handle the mixture without burning your fingers.
- Form into 1" sized balls with greased hands, then roll each into powdered sugar to coat.