Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another recipe from my Aunt's recipe clippings. This one also came from the Sept 19, 1969 Chicago Tribune originally. The clipping is crinkled with old yellow tape holding it together to make sure the recipes stayed intact. :) These are not like the typical angel cookies at all - they are little balls of dates, coconut, and Rice Krispies rolled in powdered. Don't use the prechopped dates as they aren't sticky enough - buy the whole pitted dates and chop them yourself. Also be sure to use the canned coconut..the kind that comes in bags is too dry and you will have a hard time getting the cookies to roll up otherwise.
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Add dates and granulated sugar and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until blended.
- Add cereal and coconut, stirring to combine.
- Remove from heat and let cool until you can handle the mixture without burning your fingers.
- Form into 1" sized balls with greased hands, then roll each into powdered sugar to coat.
Good, but next time I will make sure the butter and sugar melt together before adding the dates. And I may use less sugar next time as well.
A holiday must-have around here! I actually found a small tin of these in the back of the pantry, left over from last year (must have been intended as a gift, then got lost?) and they were still wonderful! A little stale, obviously, but delicious. I suppose all the sugar acts as a preservative? Great recipe.
Thanks so much for posting this recipe.
I started to tear up when I found it, as this was a favoraite Xmas cookie that my mom used to make, and I had lost her recipe.
Wonderful and brings back so many nice memories.
Thanks a mill!