Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very good side dish. If you like the citrus-y flavor of fresh cilantro, use cilantro in place of the parsley. I like the cilantro a lot, but some people do not like the pungent flavor. You may also add a can of mushrooms (drained) to this dish.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (canned)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- Place oil in a large (no stick) saucepan coated with cooking spray.
- Place pan over med-high heat until pan is hot.
- Add rice and sauté until golden brown. Add onion and pepper; sauté till tender (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, salt, oregano and bay leaf; bring to boil and then reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from stove and let sit for about 5 minutes, or till liquid is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in parsley.
Wonderful rice dish! I made it for lunch this afternoon. A small difference in my cooking procedure: I started by heating the oil in the skillet. The next step was to add the bayleaf and stir for 30 seconds. Following this, I added the onions and stir-fried until lightly golden. Then, I tossed in the green bell pepper and stir-fried for a few minutes, until the onions were ligtly browned and the bell pepper was nearly cooked. After this, I added in the rice(washed and drained) and cooked it(I mixed it twice in between) for a few minutes(3-4 minutes) on low flame. Next, I added in the dried oregano and mixed it well. Then, I poured in the broth(I prepared it in a separate dish by dissolving 2 cubes of Maggi Vegetable Broth with onion in 3 1/4 cups of water- brought it to a boil until the cubes were dissolved completely). I brought the rice-broth mixture to a boil. Then, lowered the flame and cooked on medium flame, partially covered, until the broth had been absorbed by the rice. Next, I added in the freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon to give it a beautiful lemony flavour. Mixed it in well and lastly, I garnished it with freshly chopped corriander leaves before serving. My parents and brother absolutely loved it. Thank You for sharing! Will make it again for sure !
Wonderful dish. Made it exactly as the directions state with the addition of about a teaspoon if cliantro. Delicious!