Recipe by Derf
Good but delicate and is gluten free.
Top Review by rachelcreative
Great tasting sweet pastry without the wheat. I added a pinch or two of xanthan gum so it wouldn't be crumbly but hold together. Fed tarts using this pastry to my family and no-one could tell it was wheat free pastry. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- From the rice flour box: "rice flour pastry is very delicate and may break in handling, however it does repair readily and there is no worry of toughening the pastry from overhandling; Some cracks may appear in baked product".
- Combine rice flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- Combine water and vanilla.
- Stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- With floured hands, press into 9 inch pie plate.
- OR form dough into ball and roll between two sheets of waxed paper to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Remove top paper.
- Turn into pie plate.
- Remove remaining paper.
- Carefully fit into pie plate.
- Flute edges.
- For filled pies, bake crust at 375°F for 5 minutes.
- Then fill and bake pie according to recipe.
- For baked pie shell, line with aluminum foil and sprinkle with dried beans, bake at 425°F for 12 minutes.
- Remove foil and beans.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned.