Recipe by Smiling in Texas
Gluten-Free Cake from Wholefoods
Top Review by adri.lenee
My husband has Celiac's and over the years I've yet to find a really delicious vanilla/yellow cake recipe. It was his birthday last week and I wanted to try and use the rice flour I had on hand for something. I went off of what the other reviewer said about it being dry and flavorless, so I made some adjustments. Added: 1/4 cup of milk 2 1/2 teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk I didn't have cane sugar so I replaced it with: 1/4 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup white sugar The cake turned out moist, dense, and delicious! It's actually one of the best cakes I've made with or without gluten, it was a big hit! I topped it with homemade cream cheese icing. This will now be my go-to for cake. It would be really good with strawberries and whipped cream too...
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat an 8-inch square or round cake pan with olive or canola oil spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beating with a wire whisk.
- Add flour and baking powder and continue to beat until well mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.