Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I always seem to have rice flour on hand (for Vietnamese and Thai food), and am always looking for ways to use it up. This recipe is from the incomparable Beatrice Ojakangas' "Great Whole Grain Breads" (Simon & Schuster, 1984,1993). The recipe calls for small loaf pans, probably to reduce the baking time. Might be possible to use a large pan, but I haven't tried.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in buttermilk and lemon extract and mix well.
- Combine rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and add to the butter mixture.
- Stir in bananas and coconut and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into two greased mini loaf pans (5 1/2 by 3 inches).
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 2 minutes, then turn out and cool completely.
Excellent, simple recipe, and every bit as good as traditional wheat flour loaf breads. Unlike some gluten free recipes, this one has the same texture everyone's familiar with. It's basically non-discernable; your guests won't even know the difference.
Coconut lends a tropical flavor, and adds a level of complexity not found in the usual ho-hum recipes. I'm thinking about adding a little crushed pineaple next time - well drained, of course.
All too often, gluten free recipes require tons of specialty ingredients; this one doesn't. I made due with what I had. I adapted the recipe by adding 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, and made 2 substitutions: vanilla extract instead of lemon extract, and greek-style yogurt mixed with a couple tablespoons of water instead of buttermilk.
Don't underestimate the importance of baking the batter in 2 pans. If you don't, the end product will be considerably more dense.
Delicious! I made this tonight for my two kids that are gluten free. I had to alter it a little according to what I had in the cupboard. I omitted the coconut since I didn't have any, used butter flavoring instead of lemon extract, added an extra overly ripe banana and used a round cake pan instead of a bread pan. My family loved it!
This is delicious! I used lemon peel because I didn't have lemon extract. Also, I baked it in an 8 x 4 loaf pan. Thanks so much.