Recipe by fluffernutter
I always seem to have rice flour on hand (for Vietnamese and Thai food), and am always looking for ways to use it up. This recipe is from the incomparable Beatrice Ojakangas' "Great Whole Grain Breads" (Simon & Schuster, 1984,1993). The recipe calls for small loaf pans, probably to reduce the baking time. Might be possible to use a large pan, but I haven't tried.
Top Review by N N N
Excellent, simple recipe, and every bit as good as traditional wheat flour loaf breads. Unlike some gluten free recipes, this one has the same texture everyone's familiar with. It's basically non-discernable; your guests won't even know the difference.
Coconut lends a tropical flavor, and adds a level of complexity not found in the usual ho-hum recipes. I'm thinking about adding a little crushed pineaple next time - well drained, of course.
All too often, gluten free recipes require tons of specialty ingredients; this one doesn't. I made due with what I had. I adapted the recipe by adding 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, and made 2 substitutions: vanilla extract instead of lemon extract, and greek-style yogurt mixed with a couple tablespoons of water instead of buttermilk.
Don't underestimate the importance of baking the batter in 2 pans. If you don't, the end product will be considerably more dense.
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups brown rice flour or 2 cups rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup toasted coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in buttermilk and lemon extract and mix well.
- Combine rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and add to the butter mixture.
- Stir in bananas and coconut and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into two greased mini loaf pans (5 1/2 by 3 inches).
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 2 minutes, then turn out and cool completely.