Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderfully colourful main-course dish with great versatility and rich flavours.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, in bite-size cubes
- 1 cup low-fat kielbasa or 1 cup turkey kielbasa, cubed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- 1 celery, , diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup mushroom, halved or quartered
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into rounds
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Club House "Lagrille" vegetable seasoning (whatever you like) or 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (whatever you like)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice (, I use basmati, it keeps it's texture well)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- Saute meats in 1 tbsp. olive oil, adding vegetables according cooking times, hot sauce, and dry seasonings.
- Transfer to bowl and keep warm.
- Heat remaining olive oil and add rice, stir-fry about a minute.
- Mix tomato paste and sundried tomato paste and add to rice, stirring constantly.
- Mix in cooked meat and vegetables.
- You can substitute any vegetables and meat in this recipe.
- I have used shrimp with wonderful results, but you need to add the vegetables first and the shrimp last.
- The vegetables and rice are also a great base for grilled steak also.
This reminded me a lot of jambalaya but with a lot more veggies in it. I left out the broccoli because DH doesn't like it, and increased the amounts of all the other vegetables.