Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a nice meatless main dish, served with refried/pinto beans and a salad. I have also served as a side dish with Pork Taco Meat, beans, etc. I have also made this using left-over Spanish Rice. The amount of tortillas you use, depends on how full you make them.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (Cooked according to package directions)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 lb shredded monterey jack cheese or 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce (I like mine saucy, so I use 1 1/2-2 cans.)
- sliced ripe olives
- 8 -12 corn tortillas
- Put rice in medium bowl, stir in onion and half the enchilada sauce.
- Warm tortillas in microwave to soften or heat small amount of oil in skillet and place tortillas in oil just until soft and warm. If heating in oil, drain on paper towels).
- Spread each tortilla with some rice mixture and some cheese. You should end up using about half of the cheese.
- Roll up each tortilla and place in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and olives.
- Return to oven until cheese melts.
I created this to have for our "meatless" Monday. I used the boil-in-bag brown rice. The whole bag was about a cup and a half and it still turned out fine. I also tried the green chile enchilada sauce and it worked out great!
A very well written and easy to follow recipe. I sauteed some red & green chopped peppers, white onion and a little frozen corn for a few minutes instead of using the green onion because I didn't have any. I used monterrey jack cheese and omitted the black olives. I used a jar of Pace's enchilada sauce. Instead of putting half the sauce into the rice mixture I just put in a large dollop to moisten it a little. This recipe made ten enchiladas. I made these early in the day, then heated for about 35 minutes. I served it with black beans and chicken tacos with sopapilla cheesecake for dessert. I had 3 generations at my dinner table and everyone enjoyed these. Thanks for sharing your recipe pines506!
I knew when I saw this recipe we'd love it, since we love anything wrapped in a tortilla. I used Uncle Ben's rice and small flour tortillas. I didn't have enchilada sauce but used cream of chicken soup (dilluted with half can of milk) and canned green chilies to top. Since my rice was piping hot I just warmed in oven for ten minutes (covered) to melt the cheese. It was perfectly fluffy and gooey at the same time. Served with mashed sweet potatoes. This was enjoyed by the whole family and it will be a much used recipe in our house. Roxygirl