Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Taste of Home, this rice dish is a delightful side dish that we enjoy.
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- fresh sage (optional)
- fresh thyme (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring 3-1/2 cups broth and rice to a boil.
- Reduce heat;cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in rice, mushrooms, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and the remaining broth.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with sage and thyme if desired.
- Yield: 10-12 servings.