Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe from Viking Range that they cooked for guests at this years' Memphis in May BBQ Festival. My honey got the basic recipe for me and I have added my own "touch" to it. It's very simple and versatile. This makes a BUNCH of food - but you can always put it into two pans and freeze one of them for later.
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb sausage
- 1 (6 ounce) package fresh mushrooms (sliced or chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- salt or pepper or herbs or spices
- brown meat in a skillet.
- add diced vegetables and cook for a few minutes until slightly softened.
- Whisk both soups together in a small saucepan and heat until they are well blended and warm.
- Combine all ingredients (except butter) in a LARGE roaster.
- Add pats of butter on top and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- ***try using 1 1/2 cups regular and 1/2 cup wild rice.
- *** I like to use 1/2 lb. ground pork sausage and 1/2lb andouille (cut into small bites).
- *** try spicing with Greek seasoning blend, paprika, cayenne, sage, etc. - use whatever you like!
This was a treat! I used a sage flavored sausage and was very pleased with the flavor. I took your hint to freeze half (even with all six of us eating it we still had more than enough to freeze) so I will be able to pop it out some day in the future when I need another side dish. I served it with smoked pork chops.