Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This came from the Justin Wilson Website. I only get to eat this when I'm going through LA on my way to see family in MS, so when I saw this I was overjoyed. Mostly posting this so I don't lose it!! :)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups stock
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- cayenne pepper, to taste (or hot sauce)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6 cups cooked rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onions, bell pepper, and parsley in the oil until the onions are clear.
- Then add the garlic and sauté another 5 minutes. Stir in the meat, making sure it mixes well with the vegetables, and cook until the meat is browned.
- Pour in the stock, taste for salt, then add the hot sauce and Worcestershire, and mix well.
- Stir in the rice, mix well, then pour into a small greased casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes.
Very easy to prepare and tasty, however the dish size should be a larger one. There was no way I would have been able to put all that meat and rice in a small casserole dish.LOL!:)
This is a hardy, homely dish that I really liked. It is a bit cold here and I wanted something warming. This fit the bill. I used 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper which was just right.
I made half the recipe for the two of us and there were hardly any leftovers because it was so good! I followed the recipe using canned beef broth, slightly undercooked long-grain rice ( we like our rice firm), red bell pepper to contrast the parsley and I added a seeded, minced chili pepper cooked with the onions to give some additional heat. I used cayenne pepper to taste and sprinkled some fresh parsley on top of the baked dish just before serving. - This is a good recipe to make in advance and then have it bake while you do a salad or a dessert. I had prepared the dressing and the rice separately in advance and only mixed it together just before I put it in the oven. Turned out great and while the rice was in the oven I made a salad to go with it. Thank you for a nice new favorite. :)