Recipe by I'mPat
Nice quick easy recipe to make and a great way to use left over boiled/steamed rice. NOTE - I recently broke the dish I normally cook this rice custard in and the one I use now though the same size is deeper with a small surface area and it now takes about 55 minutes to cook through.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Made this for dinner last night and was so pleased at how easy it went together, think I overcooked it (was worried about it being firm) as it was a little dry, but that was my fault and didn't change the taste. I did not use the raisens as I don't care for them, did top with whipped cream. Both DH and I enjoyed it very much. Made for the photo forum - Comfort foods.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 3 cups milk (I use reduced fat)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (extra)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, I don't normally use (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Grease a 6 cup oven proof casserole dish.
- Place rice in casserole dish.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy, slowly add in milk beating continuously, add raisins (if using), then nutmeg. Pour custard over rice and give a stir.
- Sprinkle extra nutmeg on top.
- Put into oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes (should have a firm look about it when cooked check not in the intro).
- Serve warm with a dollop of thick cream.