Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from an old Cooking Light (September 1994). Contributed by Macy in another forum. Getting this down so that I can find it easily if I ever get round to dieting! South Beach Diet-friendly.
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten (or 1 whole egg)
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Combine rice, oil, egg whites, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese in a bowl, and stir well. Press evenly into a 12-inch pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400º for 10 minutes; set aside.
- Combine tomatoes and next 4 ingredients in a bowl, and stir well. Spread evenly over prepared crust, and top with mushrooms.
- Combine chicken and next 2 ingredients, and stir well. Drop chicken mixture by teaspoonfuls over pizza. Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400º for 20 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
What I enjoyed most about this recipe was that it tasted good and I was able to use up my left-over rice. Instead of the chicken topping, I used mushrooms, onions, zucchini and red pepper sauteed lightly in olive oil. I also didn't have enough mozzarella, so I used some grated cheddar. Everyone in our family enjoyed it, especially my husband. I will remember this recipe if I have left over rice! Thanks a lot!
I really enjoyed this recipe! Whenever I have left over rice I normally just make fried rice so this was an awesome change. I only had about 1 cup of left over rice so I scaled it down a but and it worked nicely. I used extra lean ground turkey since thats what I had on hand and it tasted great with the rest of the toppings. Excellent, and very diffrent, recipe!
I didn't make the pizza as stated so I can't review the whole thing, but I did make the crust and put my own pizza toppings on it, so I thought I'd review the crust. I've stopped eating flour and I was looking for an alternative to pizza. I've tried using eggplant instead of dough and that's ok, but it doesn't give you the crust fix like this did. I made this crust for my fiance and myself and we both enjoyed it and felt like we had some pizza satisfaction. It's not quite as good as regualar pizza dough, but it's pretty good. Thanks for posting this recipe, Evelyn. P.S. I'd like to add that this crust was very easy to make.