Apple Girl's Note:
This came out of one of the many cookbooks I got from the library, but I can't remember which one. I tried it last night with my own little twists and additions and I LOVE it. Next time though I'm going to try oregano with the basil to make it a little more pizzaish. Nonetheless this is one of the best dishes I have ever made and it will definately reappear on my menu.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves (or you could try oregano which is what I'll be trying next time)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked and cooled rice (the recipe calls for brown but I used white)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- shredded fat free mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2After grating carrots place them in a strainer and set an unopened can on top to press the water out of them.
- 3Let them sit for a few minutes while you complete the next couple of steps.
- 4Stir cottage cheese, flour, and half the basil in a large bowl.
- 5Take the carrots out of the strainer, patting dry with a paper towel.
- 6Stir carrots and rice into cottage cheese mizture until everything is well blended.
- 7Spray 13x9 dish and spread the rice mixture in the bottom.
- 8Place in oven and cook.
- 9THe recipe says 25 minutes or until lightly browned, but my gas oven worked in about 15.
- 10Take the dish out and spread sauce evenly overtop the rice mixture.
- 11sprinkle with cheeses and remaining basil.
- 12Place back into the oven until cheese starts to brown and sauce is slightly bubbly.
- 13Remove from the oven.
- 14Let it cool for a couple of minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice-Crust Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (923 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2122.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 12.6 mg
- Sodium 755.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 451.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 50.2 g