Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came out of one of the many cookbooks I got from the library, but I can't remember which one. I tried it last night with my own little twists and additions and I LOVE it. Next time though I'm going to try oregano with the basil to make it a little more pizzaish. Nonetheless this is one of the best dishes I have ever made and it will definately reappear on my menu.
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves (or you could try oregano which is what I'll be trying next time)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked and cooled rice (the recipe calls for brown but I used white)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- shredded fat free mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- After grating carrots place them in a strainer and set an unopened can on top to press the water out of them.
- Let them sit for a few minutes while you complete the next couple of steps.
- Stir cottage cheese, flour, and half the basil in a large bowl.
- Take the carrots out of the strainer, patting dry with a paper towel.
- Stir carrots and rice into cottage cheese mizture until everything is well blended.
- Spray 13x9 dish and spread the rice mixture in the bottom.
- Place in oven and cook.
- THe recipe says 25 minutes or until lightly browned, but my gas oven worked in about 15.
- Take the dish out and spread sauce evenly overtop the rice mixture.
- sprinkle with cheeses and remaining basil.
- Place back into the oven until cheese starts to brown and sauce is slightly bubbly.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let it cool for a couple of minutes and serve.