Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 mins
Hot and crispy, these are especially good served with fish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh breadcrumb
- In a mixing bowl combine the rice, flour, and butter.
- Stir in the eggs, cheese, Cayenne, and salt.
- Shape into balls and roll in bread crumbs.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown-about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
This was very easy to make and tasted great. I used a leftover rice dish that already had zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and loads of flavor, so my rice was a little wetter than what the recipe probably called for. I compensated by adding extra flour (about 1/2 cup extra in total). I also sauteed the croquettes in olive oil. My son ate them with salsa, my daughter ate them with sour cream and my husband and I just ate them!
Based on other reviewers' comments, I cooked the rice in chicken stock. Also, doubled the cheese. This recipe made five patties for us and we loved it as a terrific way to recycle leftover rice. We'll be making this again.
Very good texture, but a bit bland. I will add more cayenne next time and will probably cook the rice in stock instead of water.