Recipe by Brad Beckwith
My wife's grandmother served this dish in Hillsboro, Ohio on an occasional Sunday - it was a hit with all the family.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil'til translucent, remove.
- Add rice, brown slightly.
- Add water, salt, garlic and onion.
- Cook about 20 minutes.
- or until done (I have found that I have had to add more water).
- In another pan, fry sausage (crumbled), drain.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, peppers, cabbage to sausage; cook for a short while.
- In a casserole dish layer rice, then sausage/vegetables.
- Cook in 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes.