Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Pan-fried patties with easy-to-make bean-and-salsa. Instant brown rice only take 10 minutes (included in cooking time). Suggested garnish: sour cream and scallions. To make fresh bread crumbs, trim crusts from firm sandwich. Tear into pieces and process in food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice = 1/3 cup of crumbs. (Eating Well. April/May 2005)
- 236.59 ml instant brown rice
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 9.85 ml minced garlic
- 7.39 ml fresh thyme, chopped or 2.46 ml dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 236.59 ml frozen corn
- 236.59 ml fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 19.71 ml extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed
- 236.59 ml salsa (desired spiciness ( mild to hot)
- Cook rice, according to package directions, adding scallions, garlic, and thyme to the water.
- Meanwhile, cook beans and salsa in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until hot, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Turn down heat to low to keep warm or set aside.
- Remove rice mixture from heat and stir in corn, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until frothy.
- Add rice mixture and mash with potato masher until mixture holds together, about 1 minute. It will be fairly soft.
- Shape into 8 patties.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully with a spatula, transfer 4 patties to the pan. Cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out pan with a paper towel. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and repeat with remaining 4 patties.
- Remove beans from heat.
- To serve, divide beans among 4 plates and top with 2 patties each.