Recipe by Tish
This uses the whole pearl tapioca...sometimes hard to find in our local grocery. I have been able to get it at Trader Joes sometimes. This is a wonderful way to make tapioca!
Top Review by lovestocookinNOVA
First of all your rice cooked must have a porridge setting or you will have problems. The porridge setting has a lower temp and keeps your milk from burning.
Tapioca pearls can be found at Asian food markets for about $1.50 a 16oz bag.
You can use coconut milk, rice milk, or whatever other milk..powdered etc.
I recommend you open the lid and stir 2 or 3 times while it's cooking.
- 3 tablespoons small pearl tapioca (not minute or instant tapioca)
- 2 cups milk (lowfat or nonfat is fine)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the tapioca in the rice cooker bowl.
- In a 4-cup measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, sugar, and salt.
- Pour the milk mixture over the tapioca; stir to combine.
- Close the cover and set for the Porridge cycle or approxiamately 20 minutes.
- When the machine switches to the Keep Warm cycle, remove the bowl from the cooker and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the pudding into a large bowl or individual dessert dishes.
- Let cool.
- Serve warm, if desired, or refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap.