Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy no mess Spanish rice that is a great addition to any Mexican meal! Thanks for the review Chef #792090, I have edited my recipe according to your recommendations.
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 14 ounces Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (I blend mine!)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried onion (you can use fresh if you'd like!)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (optional)
- Spray rice cooker with cooking spray.
- Add rice, 1 cup water, and all other ingredients.
- When the cycle is almost completed check the rice. If necessary, add additional 1/2 cup water. The amount you need will depend on what kind of rice you use.
I will never make spanish rice on the stove again. This was so yummy! This was right up my families alley they loved it! Even my mom wanted the recipe! I did add some diced green chilies, chichen broth, real onions, and a pinch of salt. Very flavorful and I'm sure a litle healthier since you're not browning the rice with oil first. Great post, thank you!
Easy. It was what we needed. We put in half a green bell pepper. Didn't need extra water.
I like the flavor, but it doesn't work very well with brown rice. It only cooked halfway (in my Black & Decker). I did use 1/2 C salsa and added another cup of water. We also don't like spicy hot, so I reduced the chili powder to 1'ish tsp and left out the chilies and green pepper. DH still liked it and said it wasn't too crunchy. We had with chorizo, but found the chorizo too spicy!