Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My husband loves this rice pilaf. Everytime I make rice he requests it. Hopefull you'll like it too! It takes a little extra preparation than a rice mix, but I think it's well worth it. You can also use wild rice, instead of white rice, but you'll need to add more liquid and it will take longer to cook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice (I use jasmine, but any white rice will work)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons margarine or 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, sautee the onion and garlic until onion is translucent. The garlic will cause the onion to scorch a bit, don't worry, it gives it flavor.
- Add the rice, sauted onion and garlic, almonds, mushrooms, and chicken broth to a 4 cup capacity or larger rice cooker.
- Stir briefly to distribute ingredients.
- Set to cook. When done, let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir and enjoy!
- Depending on your rice cooker, the bottom may get brown. I like it, it gives it some extra zip!
I've made this at least 5 times now.. what a great easy go to recipe.. with a great taste!! I would have never have thought I could cook rice pilaf in the rice cooker.. but this recipe proves that its most possible. Only thing I changed on the last couple of times is that I added more garlic (we love garlic in this house) .. you cannot go wrong with this recipe!!
This worked great for us. Only change I made was sub'd chopped red bell peppers for the almonds. After the onion & garlic was done cooking, I stirred in the other vegys & turned off the burner till I was ready to mix into the rice cooker. The mushrooms & peppers were the right consistency for us. You're right the bottom does get brown, if you don't like it crusty you may want to stir 1-2 times during cooking. Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing.
What a great recipe! Went well with the Hawaiian meatball recipe I found on Zaar :) Would make again for sure. I love findings ways to add veggies in to other parts of the meal! Next time I would probably add even more onion, a chicken bouillon cube, a saute the mushrooms (canned) with the onions & garlic.