Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make rice like you get at the mexican restaurant. Cooks up in your rice cooker without any fuss, mess or stirring! Haven't tried it- but could be made on the stovetop in a covered pot.
- 1 cup rice (I used long grain rice)
- 2 1⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 0.5 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- cilantro or parsley, for color
- combine all ingredients in rice cooker.
- cook according to manufacturer instructions.
- when cooking time finished let it sit uncovered for 3 minutes or so to thicken.
- stir before serving.
This is the greatest Mexican Rice! Takes just like the stuff you get at Mexican restaurants. Like others, I added chili powder and cumin. I also doubled the garlic, chilies, and spices. A hit with DH! My quest for the ultimate Mexican rice recipe is over. Thanks so much!
this was great! the first recipe made in my new rice cooker. i had to alter the recipe per what i had on hand plus i was cooking for more people, so i changed servings to 10, increased rice to 2 cups, used 3 1/2 cups of water with chicken and tomato bouillon powders, 3 T butter, a small onion, the whole can of green chiles, and a can of rotel instead of tomato paste. i also added some chili powder and cumin. i thought this was a great first run at my new cooker. thanks for posting, i'll be making this again!
I just bought a rice cooker for this recipe. It turned out awesome!! I did make some tweaks to it. I doubled the recipe and used 1 can tomato paste, 1 small jar of salsa, onion, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and chicken stock. Once my rice cooker was on warm i added a bit more salsa and cheese...soooo good!!!