Recipe by 896525
On a message board that I frequent someone asked for some rice cooker recipes. I had often wondered if I could cook other things in my little rice cooker, but never looked into it. So, today, I decided to do a search to see what I could find. This recipe was inspired by a Mac and Cheese recipe that I saw. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!
Top Review by Lakerdog2
Sorry, but this didn't work at all for me. I tried it because I was intrigued about possibly using my rice cooker for something other than rice. It took at least double the time to cook, most of it stuck to the bottom. The flavor was okay, (thus the 3 stars), the method just didn't work. I think it would have been better pre-cooking the pasta, then throwing it all in a baking dish and baking.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell southwest-style pepper jack soup
- 10 3⁄4 ounces 2% low-fat milk (use soup can) or 10 3⁄4 ounces skim milk (use soup can)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans with jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or 2 cups penne or 2 cups shell pasta or 2 cups other similar sized pasta
Optional additions and garnishes
- 1 cup cooked ground beef (optional) or 1 cup cooked ground turkey (optional)
- garnish with shredded cheese (optional)
- chopped onion (optional)
- tomatoes, and (optional)
- lettuce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add first two ingredients to rice cooker and mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients and turn on. I have an on/off rice cooker and it took about 25 minutes to cook.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Note: This recipe is spicy. If you prefer something less spicy you can use: 1 can condensed cheese soup, 1 can milk (use soup can), 1 can regular pinto beans, 1 package taco seasoning, 2 cups pasta.