Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cobbarannam--spells coconut rice in Telugu (a language of India). My Mom and Nanis (grandmothers) made this for special days like birthdays, anniversaries and even Christmas :) They served it with chicken curry!! Yum!! Whole spices may be used for making the dish but are removed before eating.
- 4 cups basmati rice, rinsed in water (use cup provided by manufacturer)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- water to make it 8 cups liquid
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom powder (made from cardamom seeds)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove powder
- 1⁄8 cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Add all these ingredients in your rice cooker.
- Stir well.
- Turn your cooker on.
- When the rice is done, you may have to fold the creamy mixture in the top into the rice very very gently so as not to mush the rice!
Amazing! I had never heard of anything like this before and had to try it - from the other review it sounds more like a dessert, but I could see it going either way - top with chili sauce for savory or brown sugar for dessert.
My family and I loved this savory coconut rice! I served it with a Thai sweet chili sauce and chicken.
I have to admit, I had to make some substitutions as I didn't have a couple of the ingredients on hand (substituted Jasmine rice, still rinsed, used yellow curry powder as sub for cardamom powder and dry mustard powder for turmeric powder). I'd imagine it's much more flavorful with the cardamom and turmeric.
Thank you for sharing this IndoAmerican :)
This came out mushy and tasteless I do not recommend for kenmore rice cooker. Use less liquid and needs more flavor. So disappointed
This is very good! I have made it twice. After it is prepared, I usually serve with a sprinkling of dark brown sugar on top and sometimes a dollop of whipped cream. I have a microwave rice cooker and it is 7 minutes at 70% power, let set for 5 minutes, then 7 minutes at 70% power again. This is for 2 cups dry rice. This recipe calls for 4 cups dry rice which makes 8 cups cooked. I have also added a little anise but it is my preference. This is a no mess, easy recipe and I highly recommend it.I serve with fish.