Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dark, rich, chocolate cake is perfect with coffee on a lazy afternoon or as a special treat for a birthday cake. It has no eggs or milk so is ok for Vegans. Top it with your favourite frosting, or just sprinkle powdered sugar on it to 'finish' it for the table.I love the recipe as I alway seem to be out of milk and eggs, so this recipe suits my house! I do not have an oven so need something that works in rice cooker. Rice Cookers vary but this recipe seems to work just fine in most. Set the cooker for slow cook if you have that function.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar (or just white sugar)
- 4 tablespoons dark cocoa (powdered chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder (leave out for heavier cake)
- 90 ml sunflower oil (any oil may be used)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Add together the dry ingredients: 1.5 cups white flour, 1/2 cup raw sugar, 4 tablespoons dark cocoa (powdered chocolate), 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon double acting baking powder (leave out for heavier cake).
- Mix dry ingredients well.
- Add wet ingredients to the mixture: 90 ml of sunflower oil (any oil may be used),1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 cup of water.
- Mix well till smooth, about 1 minute, do not over work batter.
- Pour batter into the greased rice cooker bowl.
- Set rice cooker to 'slow' if possible for 60 minutes and start cooker (if your cooker does not have a slow setting don't worry).
- Some rice cookers will go to warm cycle after 5 minutes, allow cooker to be in that mode for a few minutes (like preheating) then restart timer for remainder time to equal 60 minutes total cook time.
- Check cake at 45 minutes.
- Cake is finished when a toothpick comes out clean from edges and center of cake.
- Take rice cooker bowl out of machine when cake is finished cooking, and allow the cake to cool in the bowl for 15 minutes before removing.
- To remove the cake put flat plate on the top the rice cooker bowl and invert bowl in a smooth motion.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with your favourite frosting.
- Try not to eat the whole cake in 1 seating!
This was the perfect size and tastes great. Doesn't even need frosting :) It did take a total of 2 hours to cook through though.
Nope. Didn't work for my Rice Cooker. Great idea bummed it didn't work for me. Zojirushi brand.
I knew that my rice cooker had a dessert feature, but I'd never used it until now! This cake is so simple, but tastes great! I used normal baking powder as I like quite dense chocolate cakes and it turned out great. Topped with a simple glaze and some fresh fruit, this went down a treat!