Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This mildly spicy cheesy rice is easy to make in the rice cooker.
- 2 cups white rice (use rice cooker cups)
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in margarine until onion in translucent.
- Place rice, sauteed onion and garlic, chilies, and chicken broth in rice cooker.
- Stir just to combine.
- Set cooker to cook.
- When done, mix in shredded cheese and let sit 5-10 minutes.
added a pinch of smoked paprika and cumin. Very yummy and easy.
This didn't wow me as much as I thought it would. It was okay as a side, but nothing spectacular. I'll try it again with Hot green chile and some extra spices. I used water this time, and I'll try to use a broth next time for some extra flavor.
This was good! I used a microwave rice cooker 7 minutes at 70% power, rest about 3 minutes, then again 7 minutes at 70% power in a 1200 Watt microwave. After resting the 3 minutes I gently stirred to mix all the ingredients. The liquid was fine in this recipe using Calrose rice. I have used twice, monterey jack cheese and also Velveeta cheese. The Velveeta blends better for flavor and also mixes well. I also used Sysco chicken base with water for my chicken broth and that is wonderful to use with rice dishes.