Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from a KENYA AND TANZANIA site and is specifically a Swahili recipe. It is a starchy staple and they "serve it with curry or main dish". I have added a 3/4 cup of liquid since looking at Weekend's reviews. Posted for ZWT4.
- Clean and wash rice.
- Bring the coconut milk and water to a boil.
- When boiling, pour in the rice.
- Add salt.
- Leave to cook on medium heat.
- When nearly dry, cover well.
- Turn down the heat and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- (If you have a rice cooker, put all of the ingredients in the rice cooker and turn it on.).
- Watch it to make sure it does not burn, adding more water if needed to keep it from burning.
Made for a great side dish for dinner tonight. We all enjoyed this, the rice did burn very slightly. Flavors were great. Made for 1-2-3 hits..
Like another poster, this recipe complimented the ground beef curry wonderfully. I cooked it in a rice cooker and used calrose rice. It turned out perfect for us. I like our rice a bit sticky.
This was cooked in the rice cooker and I will say---watch it closely. The rice did burn just a touch. In place of the coconut milk, I used Fat Free Coconut Milk (For Recipes). This made a nice side for Ground Beef Curry (Kima Curry). Made for *ZWT 4*