Recipe by Engrossed
This is a recipe given to my Mother by friends in the 70's? I was forbidden to share it but I like sharing and think everyone should have a chance to try it! It's ooey gooey cheesy yummy! It uses "mild" green chilies not hot ones. Everyone that tries it requests the recipe. It is very bad for you but worth having at least once a year for a potluck. I've had friends try to make it with lowfat or nonfat ingredients and it doesn't work. I also have tried mixing all the ingredients together and it doesn't taste as good, the layers matter (even though they melt together)! I usually double or triple it and bake it in a removable crock from my crockpot then put it on low in the crockpot for potlucks. If you do this the layers are still the same but double or triple the amount in each layer. I usually assemble it the night before and put it in the oven right before the event. For extra gooeyness add extra jack cheese in the layers to completely coat them. Remember for a single recipe: you are using 3 cups of "cooked" white rice which is made from 1 cup of dry rice. One cup of cooked rice per layer (3 layers). Enjoy! Very yummy with my Chicken Chile Verde Enchiladas.
Top Review by thbyrd
Ha!! Was my mom the friend that gave this recipe to your mother? My mother made this recipe in the 60s and it's been in my recipe box and on my table for years. This is so delicious and so easy. Just decided to google it today, as I'm making it as we speak, and there you were!
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies, I usually double this
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄2 lb shredded monterey jack cheese, plus more to eye & to top
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, I usually do it by eye
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook 1 cup dry rice which makes 3 cups cooked rice.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine sour cream, chiles and salt in a bowl.
- Layer ingredients in a loaf pan. Or if doubling or tripling the recipe for a crowd layer in a removable crock from a crock pot that can be baked in the oven.
- Layer as follows: a third of the rice, half of the sour cream mixture, half of the cheeses, a third of the rice, remaining half of the sour cream mixture, remaining half of the cheeses, remaining third of the rice, sprinkle top with extra jack cheese.
- Loaf pan bakes at 350 for 25 min until bubbly.
- Crock bakes approx 60-90 min until bubbly then can be in crockpot on low or warm for hours.