Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This candy is crunchy and chewy and very sweet. It's one of my favorite treats at Christmas time. This recipe makes a large batch but it freezes very well. My grandma makes this in the microwave so I've included her microwave cooking instructions. I estimated the serving size to be about 1/4 cup.
- 453.59 g box Rice Chex
- 354.88 ml sweetened flaked coconut, sweetened shredded
- 354.88 ml almonds, sliced
- 354.88 ml butter or 354.88 ml margarine
- 354.88 ml light corn syrup
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- Combine Chex cereal, almonds and coconut in a very large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine butter, corn syrup and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture reaches 235°F (soft ball stage).
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla; stir well.
- Pour candy mixture over cereal mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Spread on wax paper to cool.
- Store cooled candy in an airtight container.
- This candy freezes remarkably well!
- It makes a pretty gift given in a jar or cellophane bag tied with a ribbon.
- It's very sweet and highly addictive!
- *Microwave instructions:.
- Combine butter, corn syrup, and sugar in a microwave safe glass bowl. Microwave on high 5 minutes.
- Microwave 5-10 minutes longer until mixture reaches soft ball stage.
- Add vanilla and baking soda; stir.
- Pour over cereal mixture.
Really sweet but yummy I used more Rice Chex.
This stuff is addicting! I made it for a Christmas party at work and gave the recipe to more people than I can count. I did use Crispix cereal instead of the Rice Chex because thats what I had on hand. Thanks for a great recipe!
For our family, this was too sugary-sweet without a lot of flavor. I even added an additional 1/2 tsp almond extract with the vanilla but it was still very bland. Thanks for posting!