Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vegetarian Times Issue: February 1, 1999 p.56 For varied flavors and textures, experiment with different kinds of rice, such as white or brown basmati.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1 large carrot, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 3 small celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease an 8 x10-inch baking dish.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, dill weed and 1/4 cup parsley, and cook, stirring often, 6 minutes. Add sugar, paprika, salt and rice. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water and currants or raisins; bring to a simmer.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish; cover and bake until rice is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Toss with pine nuts or almonds and remaining parsley. Serve warm.