Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Aussie food mag Super Food Ideas. Great hot or cold, fabulous for the lunch box, as it can be made ahead and frozen. The smoked chicken breast listed is the whole smoked breasts, not the deli slices.
- 2⁄3 cup basmati rice
- 250 g smoked chicken breasts, diced
- 2⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C Grease a 6 X 3/4 cup texas muffin pan. Line holes with baking paper.
- Cook rice, your prefered method will be fine, or follow instructions on packet. Set aside to cool.
- Place rice, smoked chicken, semi-dried tomatoes, 1 Cup cheese, onions, basil and eggs. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cakes are firm to the touch, and light golden in colour.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Run a flat edged knife around cakes to losen.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
What a cool idea! The flavor of these was really good, but they were a little dry. That was possibly due to Aussie cups -> American cups, and possibly because I scaled this up to 12 cakes (for my 6 family members) and only used 4 eggs instead of 4.5. But with some salsa or marinara, this would be lovely! Being from Texas, I am not sure what a "Texas muffin pan" is, LOL, but I figure it's a jumbo. I used a regular muffin pan and some silicone muffin cups for the extra. "12 cakes" worth made 18 smaller ones, and 2 seemed just about right for a dinner serving for adults, one for the kids. I couldn't find smoked chicken breasts, so I pulled the meat from a rotisserie chicken, and weighed it until I had the right amount, both breasts and a thigh *grins*. Good recipe, I will probably make again, and serve with a dipping sauce. Thank you for posting, made for ZWT4.