1/1 Photo of Rice Cake (Torta Di Riso)
2 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour-Italy. From the "Northern Italy Cooking" cookbook. I haven't made this yet, but plan to. This recipe is from Bologna, which is in the Emilia-Romagna region of Northern Italy. Arborio rice is a short, thick-grained Italian rice. Note: prep time does not include cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon breadcrumbs, finely crushed and unflavored
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 3/4 cup arborio rice or 3/4 cup other short-grain rice
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup blanched almond, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup candied citron peel, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 -3 tablespoons rum
- whipped cream
- 1Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2Butter a 10-inch spring form pan.
- 3Sprinkle pan with fine unflavored breadcrumbs and shake off excess crumbs.
- 4Combine milk, sugar and lemon zest in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- 5Stir in rice and reduce heat.
- 6Simmer uncovered 45 minutes to 1 hour or until all the liquid is absorbed; stir occasionally to make sure mixture is not sticking.
- 7Remove from heat and let cool.
- 8Beat eggs until foamy in a large bowl.
- 9Add cooled rice mixture, almonds, candied citron and 1/4 cup rum.
- 10Mix thoroughly.
- 11Pour rice mixture into buttered pan and level top with a spatula.
- 12Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out dry.
- 13Pierce holes in top of cake with fork and sprinkle with 2 to 3 Tablespoons rum. Cool to room temperature, them remove cake from pan. Decorate with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Cake (Torta Di Riso)
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.2
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 201.8 mg
- Sodium 169.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 51.0 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
candied citron peel