Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
A chewy bread recipe from Cooking Light
Make and share this Rice Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups water and rice in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon rice into a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Stir in 1 1/4 cups warm water.
- Add 2 cups flour and yeast to rice mixture; stir well to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let stand 1 hour (batter should become very bubbly and almost double in size).
- Add 2 cups flour and salt to batter; stir 1 minute with a wooden spoon or until well combined.
- Scrape dough onto a heavily floured surface; sprinkle dough with 1 cup flour.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Divide dough in half.
- Working with 1 portion at a time (cover the remaining dough to keep from drying), roll each portion into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll up each rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place each roll, seam side down, in an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Lightly coat the loaves with cooking spray; cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until loaves are lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool in pans on wire racks.