Recipe by Boomette
This is a recipe from Ricardo that I did and was so good :P
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
This is a delicious and unique take on rice pudding. I used the optional rum but I think the coconut rum would have been better. The caramelized coconut makes the dish special. My blancmange didn't thicken as much as I would have liked. That was probably my fault. I should have cooked it longer. Thankyou for sharing this recipe. Made for Photo Tag.
- 1⁄3 cup long grain rice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional) or 2 tablespoons coconut rum (optional)
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a casserole, cook rice in a big quantity of boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In another casserole, not on heat, whip egg, sugar and flour until mixture is homogeneous. Add rum, milk and coconut milk. Stir at low heat until it thickens. Remove from the heat and incorporate the cooked rice.
- Spread the bland mange (pudding) in individual serving dishes, cover with a plastic wrap and put in fridge.
- Caramelized Coconut :.
- Put parchment paper on a baking sheet. Rinse coconut with hot water in a strainer while shaking it.
- In a non-stick skillet, dissolve brown sugar in water.
- Add coconut and cook until liquid has evaporated and coconut is golden. Spread coconut on the parchment paper and let cool.
- When ready to serve, garnish the cold blanc mange with caramelized coconut.