Recipe by Doreen Randal
Spring has sprung in the Southern Hemisphere so it's time to get the salads ready to go with the barbies. This one goes well with steaks.
- 1 (400 g) can pineapple, crushed, drained
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, diced
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup French dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Gradually add the rice to a large quantity of boiling salted water; boil rapidly for 12 minutes, then drain well.
- Spread on a tray and separate the grains with a fork to allow each grain to dry perfectly.
- Fry the bacon and onion; sprinkle over the rice. Toast the almonds in a pan until golden brown.
- Put the rice, cucumber, almonds, capsicum and pineapple in a salad bowl.
- Add French dressing and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate until serving time. Cheers, Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- New Zealand.