Recipe by NicoletteL
I love cold rice salads and wanted to use up some basil, so I threw some stuff together. It's a nice summer salad. The dressing comes from another Zaar Basil Vinaigrette Dressing ). I did alter the dressing a tad. I just added more garlic than called for and changed the shallots to red onion (I never have shallots lying around). It is so goood. The cooking time does not include the time in the fridge.
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced finely
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1 cup rice with water, according to directions on bag.
- Cook until done.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, dice the veggies and put aside.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender, except the oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- With machine running, add the oil.
- When rice is cool, mix with veggies and dressing.
- Cover and store in fridge for at least 3 hours (This really helps the flavors to meld).
- Serve cold and enjoy!