Recipe by Fat Doggin'
This is a very simple and delicious dish to make. I usually add some diced ham to make it a main dish.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green peppers or 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery or 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice or 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur or 1 1⁄2 cups wheat berries or 1 1⁄2 cups barley
- 0.5 (8 ounce) container cream cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sweet pepper, onion, celery (if using), and garlic in margarin or butter till vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine cooked rice, cream cheese, chili peppers (if using), basil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir in vegetable mixture. Transfer to a 1-quart casserole. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree ocen about 25 minutes or till heated through. If mixture seems stiff, stir in milk, a tablespoon at a time, to moisten. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 2 to 3 minutes more ot till cheese melts.